Be it a text editor or a code editor, both form a great part of the daily workflows.
There are some incredible text editors for beginners as well as experienced developers.
Here is the detailed list for you of some of the best text editors available. You not only have the option to just write, but you can do a lot more. Let’s see!
There are some editors that are also considered as an integrated development environment or simply IDEs. Now, you must match your requirements with your workflow in order to land on the best option.
Best text editors
- Sublime Text
- Visual Studio Code
- Komodo Edit
Atom is an open-source text editor. It is a jam-packed editor with tons of features for you.
Atom provides you with cross-platform editing that means you can work across various operating systems. For instance, Windows, Linux, or OS X. Atom comes with smart auto-completion that helps you to write code faster with flexibility and smart autocompletion.
Atom comes with a built-in package manager that helps you to search and install new packages or create your own anytime. You can also split the interface into multiple screens to compare or edit code across several files.
Additionally, if you wish to find preview or place text value type in a file you can do that easily with Atom.
For easy accessibility and use here are some of the features:
- If you wish to add new functionalities and features to the text editor, you can open source packages or even build a package from scratch and publish it for others to use
2. Sublime Text
Sublime text is a text editor packed with new enhancements and features. Take a look:
- GPU Rendering: text editor can easily use your GPU on Windows Mac or Linux while rendering the interface. Consequently, you can see a fluid user interface with 8K resolution
- You can have split views throughout the interface. The code navigation is extremely easy as you have several options like, tab bar, sidebar, Goto Anything, Goto Definition
- Provision of sentence highlighting comes with features like multi-line constructs, handling non-deterministic grammars, syntax inheritance, etc
- It has a great loading speed and efficient memory usage
TextMate is a powerful text editor that is highly customisable and supports several programming languages.
Here is a list to make you familiar with its impressive features:
- You can add multiple insertion points on this text editor. For instance, you can swap pieces of codes or make multiple changes at once
- With this editor, it is easy to extract, match the text, or jump between the text
- It uses scope selectors with the shortcuts or settings to sort out several issues
- TextMate uses bundles to customise and support several languages, workflows, and markup systems
Vim text editor is extremely configurable and popular amongst users. It is highly efficient and fast. In most of the UNIX systems and Apple OS X, it is included as Vi.
Now, we are presenting you with its features:
- Vim text editor comes with an extensive plug-in system
- It is a highly persistent and consistent multilevel undo tree
- The editor is embedded with powerful search and replaces options
- You can easily integrate with several other tools to make your work easier
- It extends support for several programming languages with different file formats
Notepad++ is a free source code editor that extends support to various languages.
It is based on a powerful editing component, Scintilla. Interestingly, this text editor is running with the aim to reduce the carbon dioxide emissions of the world by using less CPU power. The PC throttle is down and reduces power consumption hence, it results in a greener environment.
Take a look at some of the great features of this text editor:
- It comes in a package, free of cost, with powerful editing components
- It also uses syntax highlighting and folding
- Along with this, there is a provision of search and replace tool with a customisable UI
- You can also switch to a vertical tab or a document list in this text editor to bring more ease and accessibility in your work
- It offers you translation into dozens of languages along with documentation on how to perform the task
CoffeeCup is an HTML editor with tons of extraordinary tools and features.
Features like handy tag references, website components, completion tools, live previews, and much more.
Take a look at the pack of features designed especially for you:
- Tag Highlighting: It helps you to highlight the ending tags as well as other tags as sometimes they are hard to find in the code
- Template downloader: provide you with a hundred percent response to templates. The template installer imports the designs into your HTML editor in just a few seconds
- It is extremely fast in speed with a wide range of short options. You can also create new CSS or HTML files from scratch
- It offers a perfectly organised logical structure that helps in the smooth functioning of your project
UltraEdit tool is one of the most powerful and reliable tools available in the market.
You can avail every application along with the mobile versions of UE and UC. Get free updates too.
Moreover, you get access to platform versions of UE and UC. With that, you can also sync all the settings on the cloud.
BBEdit text editor is known as the leading professional editor for macOS. The features include searching and editing along with manipulation of prose, source code, and textual data.
It offers plenty of advanced features. Features like auto-completion and Git integration, quick lookups, syntax highlighting, and much more.
This text editor is also helpful in web development; it has powerful previews in several browsers. You can also add special characters to HTML.
Here is a list of some impressive features of this text editor:
- It supports a huge list of languages and contains syntax checking for various scripts
- This editor is specially designed for Mac users
- You get automated completion tools in order to perform clipping and similar tasks
- You have folder listings that help you to organise the work. Moreover, you can browse or perform editing in your directory listings with precision as well as speed
- The interface is extremely clean and the prices are low
9. Komodo Edit
Komodo Edit is a powerful and simple editor for you to use. It comes with robust functionality and has impressive features like unit testing, debugging, code profiling, and code refactoring.
Take a look at its features:
- It is a multi-language editor with autocomplete and call tips features
- The clean interface helps you to work in a more organised manner
- The Komodo Edit text editor can track changes and also end up making multiple selections simultaneously
10. Visual Studio Code
Visual studio code is an open-source text editor, free of cost. This text editor presents you with IntelliSense. It further provides you with smart completions based on variable types, imported modules, and functional definitions.
With this, you can debug your code right from the editor or even launch your running apps. Easily debug with calls stacks, breakpoints, and an interactive console.
It is highly customisable as well as extensible. You can add several extensions to inherit new languages, themes, or some additional services.
With CodeShare, you can write or copy code and share it with your colleagues.
Additionally, you can share code in real-time with each other via video chat. Therefore, it is not necessary to sit in the same room and then interact.
It is beneficial to take interviews where you can check the coding capabilities of your candidate at the same time. You can use it for debugging sessions or to review several codes.
You must remember that CodeShare automatically deletes the code in its editor within 24 hours. So, save the code accordingly.
The bracket is a modern and open-source text editor. It is specially designed for web designers and front-end developers.
Brackets is a powerful, lightweight, and modern text editor that fulfils your modern needs. You can also avail a real-time connection to your browser.
It provides you with the convenience of in-browser dev tools.
Moreover, it works with preprocessors in a different way. As preprocessors are extremely important for the workflow, Brackets will help you to align with them in a very smooth fashion.
Note: Adobe is planning to end support for Brackets from September 1, 2021.
You can continue the benefits on GitHub. Or alternatively, switch to Visual Studio Code, which is again a free code editor.
These were some of the best text editors available in the market.
Keenly observe the features and tools associated with each of these text editors. Choose wisely.
We hope that the information helps you to make a beneficial decision.