It is important that we track all the activities that are being carried out within the network. As the business grows, the load on the network tends to increase due to huge incoming traffic. So it is one of the important tasks to monitor the efficiency of the networks and ensuring consistent high-end performance.
For IT staff, it becomes very difficult to manage and monitor huge networks within organizations. Thus, the need arises for network monitoring tools that will efficiently help the IT teams to closely monitor all the activities of the network.
There are a variety of monitoring tools available in the market that you can use for your business purpose. But the job is not only limited to monitoring the network but you also have to check other features that will allow you to check the overall health of the network.
In this article, we will be highlighting those solutions that will help the organizations for monitoring the overall system health, activities, flowing traffic, and other running applications from a single interface. But before we explore these network monitoring solutions, we must know the key features that will impact the selection of the right network monitoring tool.
Considerable points while choosing the right network monitoring tool
Among various network monitoring tools, it is important that we look for some important features that will make your monitoring process easier irrespective of the size of the network. The right monitoring tool will possess all the required features that will cover the overall health of the network along with the connected devices on the network.
We have mentioned some of the key features that must be provided by your network monitoring tools for in-depth analysis of every aspect of your organization’s network.
- Check if the chosen network monitoring tool comes with the auto-discovery feature for logging all the connected devices over the network.
- It should provide you with the facility of network topology mapper.
- It should provide SNMP that will be beneficial for getting the live status of the network and connected devices.
- It should ensure that the performance of the desired network will be monitored regularly to get the updated details.
- For better understanding, the tool should provide the graphical representation of the network using charts, graphs, etc.
- It should be a cost-effective solution as many companies may have a restricted budget. So it should be beneficial from the perspective of a small-scale enterprise.
If you have any other priority then you can choose any of the network monitoring tools that will suit your specific business needs. We have summed up some of the commonly used network monitoring tools that will help any type of business that works majorly on networks. Let’s get started with the top list of monitoring tools.
SolarWinds is an easy-going network monitoring tool offering a steep learning curve allowing the users to understand it effortlessly. It ensures the complete monitoring of the network status with the help of the SNMP. whenever there is an addition of any device on the network, this tool will update you automatically about this change on the network.
You will get to use its intuitive UI allowing the users to get insight into the network’s performance and its connected devices. You can go through the network topology map that will make it easy to understand the difficult network connections.
You can avail of its NetPath feature that will help to trace the transfer of the packets within the network along with providing the status of the network’s performance. You can also set a customized trigger for a specific condition that may impact the network drastically.
So it will send a notification to the specific team alerting them about the issue so they can work and resolve it accordingly. The price of this tool starts from $2,995 and can be downloaded for a 30-day free trial.
- Many large and enterprise networks can leverage this monitoring tool.
- It provides auto-discovery features that will help in the creation of the topology maps and inventories of the network in real-time.
- With its alerting method, you will be able to do easy debugging.
- For packet analysis, you can use its SNMP monitoring that will give you more control over monitoring the network.
- You can use its drag and drop features for adding widgets that will add more functionalities to its dashboard for better monitoring.
- With this tool, you can even leverage its pre-configured compliance templates.
- This tool has a wide range of functionalities to offer, thus making it difficult to grasp everything at once especially for beginners.
This monitoring tool is cloud-based that allows the users for analyzing the network’s performance and efficiency. It allows you to check the status of all the connecting devices such as switches, routers, etc. using this tool, you can efficiently monitor the usage of the cloud resources also. You will get live network status, capture details about packets, and analyze the utilities that are being consumed within a network.
This tool makes sure that it will explore the complete network for identifying the total number of new and old devices that are connected to the network. This type of exploration will lead to the creation of the inventory that is considered later for monitoring purposes. It comes with an intuitive dashboard that you can use for getting an in-depth knowledge of every aspect of your network. You can even check the network topology map that will keep on changing as per the devices being added or removed from the network. You can click this map to get updated network status.
This exploration method will keep on running everything thus updating the users with the correct information whenever they go through the dashboard and keep on updating the inventory. The dashboard will also display the historical analysis that will help the users to analyze the traffic flow trend for a particular device. You can avail of its 14-days free trial.
- This tool comes with an intuitive dashboard with which you can get along with the tool easily.
- For analyzing the network, you do not have to spend extra costs for the deployment and onboarding of the servers.
- The network admins can use this tool for monitoring the network’s performance by working on the in-depth insights of the network details.
- You will get to use its auto-discovery features that will help in creating the network topology map that will provide a better understanding of the network.
- You will get the access to make the desired network changes which will get reflected in real-time.
- Also, the business can leverage this tool for scaling with its flexible pricing options.
- You will get a short trial period that might be a smaller period for business to test their work.
This tool will not only help in checking the network’s performance but also the devices that are being connected to the network. This tool offers more than 200 widgets that allow the users to customize the dashboard for getting another level of experience. It is considered to be an all-rounder network monitoring tool that is suitable for small-scale as well as for large-scale businesses.
With this tool, you can use the SNMP for getting the updated network details its network mapping feature is out-of-the-box as it will help the users to automatically detect the new devices added on the network. For getting enhanced visibility. You will be able to schedule the network discovery process that will explore the network as per that schedule and inform the users about the newly added devices.
The alert system will respond instantly whenever there is a change in the network or its performance. Even a simple company with a small infrastructure can use this tool. The basic plan will start with $245 that is capable of supporting up to 10-1,000 devices and with its plan at $11,545 is capable of supporting 250-10,000 devices on the network. You can use this tool for a 30-days free trial.
- You can use its amazing dashboard that provides you with network performance reports with the help of its more than 200 widgets.
- You can avail of its auto-discovery features that will allow you to explore networks, and mapping new devices.
- You will get to leverage its alerting system that will reduce the possible chances of false positives.
- You can send alert messages or notifications via SMS, and other channels.
- Some beginners may find it difficult to get along with this tool as it comes with a wide range of tools and widgets that can be tricky to use.
This tool is capable of checking the performance of everything such as applications, user behaviour, and the network. This tool will inform you whenever there is new device is added to the network. Based on these results, the inventory will get updated and will be beneficial in creating the network topology map. The map and the inventory will get automatically updated with the slight change in the network.
This tool uses the SNMP feature that will allow the auto-discovery to get the in-depth status of the network. You can even set alerts that will notify the desired teams about the criticality of the situation. These alerts will set the severity of the situations and mark them accordingly. You can use its real user monitoring feature that will allow you to analyze the typical buyer journey.
You can use this tool for free but along with the monitoring that is limited to five websites or servers. If you want to go premium, you can avail of its other four paid plans that the user can customize as per the business requirement. You can use its paid plans for a 30-day free trial.
- This tool works on real-time data for exploring the devices and then creates charts, network maps, and whatever details are required to provide the accurate performance of the network.
- You can use its freeware version for testing purposes.
- This tool might be a bit difficult to get along with if you are a beginner, as it is a tool with a wide range of features, and getting everything at once might be challenging.
This tool works efficiently based on the concepts of SNMP, packet sniffing, and WMI that are necessary for effective monitoring of the network and devices. The tool offers the scan network segment on its dashboard that will help the users for exploring and adding the required devices to the network. Then, you need to choose the range for each sensor that will help in monitoring the various segments of the network.
You can customize the dashboard that will help in creating real-time network maps with the help of the drag and drop features by offering more than 300 map objects. This tool provides a threshold-based alert system that will keep on sending alerts whenever there is a change beyond the set threshold. The notifications are being sent via SMS, emails, and other methods. Being a cost-effective solution, it is highly preferred among small-scale companies.
With its free plan, you can leverage up to 100 sensors and need to pay for using more sensors. The paid version will start with $1600 that is capable of providing the users with 500 sensors and 1 server installation. You can avail of its 30-day free trial for testing purposes.
- Creating a detailed report uses SNMP, packet sniffing, and other features.
- If you are an administrator, then you can use this tool to make the required changes to its dashboard.
- With its drag and drop feature, you can customize the views and reports for a better understanding of the network performance.
- The alert system will send the notifications via SMS, emails whenever the set threshold value is being breached.
- It comes with various sensors that are beneficial to analyze specific applications running on the network.
- You can even use its freeware version for testing purposes.
- You need to invest much time to get along with this tool as it has many features to offer and learning everything is challenging for beginners.
It is an open-source tool that allows you to monitor the performance of the network. You can use its alert system that will notify the required team about any minor changes going on within the network such as adding or removing the devices. This tool will show you alert history details for more clear debugging as the history will tell you what type of action you have performed for a specific alert. It displays the alerts in a different colour for specifying the severity of the generated alerts. This will help the team to prioritize the issues and then start working accordingly.
It offers you various APIs that you can seamlessly integrate with other network services for adding more functionalities to this tool. You can even add the desired plugins that are freely available on the Nagios exchange. Suppose, if you want to monitor the SNMP load or the CPU load usage then you can add the SNMP CPU load plugin to this tool. You can use this tool for free and require some manual work for setting up this tool.
- It is a transparent tool with an immense variety of plugins.
- This tool comes with a variety of network-related information that will help you get into the insights of the network.
- This tool comes with a flexible notification system that will send messages via SMS, email, etc.
- Being open-source it still lacks consistent support for its paid products
- You need to have some technical knowledge as setting up this tool may require those skills.
This tool combines the network, server, cloud, application, and other services that are being used for closely monitoring the network. It allows SNMP and IPMP for analyzing the network’s performance. You can use its auto-discovery feature that will help in detecting the devices automatically and will update you about the slightest change in the network.
You can use one of the network monitoring templates that will help you for configuring the monitoring programs. It comes with various pre-configured templates that have been widely used by major companies like Cisco, HP, Dell, and others. It offers you an amazing alert system that will warn the users if there is something major that needs your attention towards the network. You can avail this tool for free.
- It is another tool that is available as an open-source.
- It offers both SNMP and IPMP that will help in enhancing the range for the monitoring.
- This tool will help you automatically detect any change in the network and configurations.
- For getting better and in-depth insights, you can use one of its flexible templates.
- It ensures instant and accurate notifications via SMS, email, and others.
- You might not enjoy its interface as it is not as an interactive and intuitive interface as compared to other alternatives such as DataDog or Site24x7
- It lacks some of the major features such as alerting features for reducing false positives
Most IT companies emphasize combining various functionalities such as server functions, application storage, and network management as they are all independent identities and ensure that a high-end product is delivered to the customers. It is only possible if you have good network monitoring tools at your disposal that will help in covering all these elements. A network monitoring tool might look like a small utility but is beneficial for getting the entire company’s infrastructure network’s detail to keep track of its performance.
Thus, for closely monitoring the performance of all the connected devices to the network and network itself you should have an all-rounder network monitoring tool that will suit all your network-related needs. In his article, we have gathered some of the widely adapted network monitoring tools and software that will help the users to get a complete insight into your network’s performance and notify you of the necessary changes in the network topology.
You can opt for any of the network monitoring tools or software and integrate it seamlessly within your organization for optimal results.
People also look at: